Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Tapioca Pudding

Growing up my granny would make homemade tapioca. Yuck..I didnt like it.
Then, in my late teens my taste buds changed and I liked tapioca.,  my grannys tapioca anyway. She lived in West Virgina and I lived in California so I only had this treat once a year  (I would visit  my grandparents on their farm for a month every summer).
  As the years went by I bought the package type of tapioca but it just didnt taste the same. I tried making it myself but  constantly stirring was a pain in the you know what  and then it just didnt come out the way my granny's did.
 Last year while I was looking through my Slow Cooker Cookbook. I saw a recipe for tapioca!! 
The recipe said to add all ingredients, stir and then cook for  about 3 hours and continue to stir.... occasionally!   Easy peasy!
I bought a bag of small tapioca pearls, gathered up the rest of the ingredients  put it all in my slow cooker and.... it  came out perfect!! Tastes delicious!
 I make it quite often now because my husband loves it too!
The recipe calls for milk which I did the first few times but last week I thought I would use half milk and half almond milk! Yes there I go again..almond milk.  It really adds a yummy flavor to the tapioca. I also add vanilla ...love vanilla!!

Here is the  recipe 
4 cups milk     or    2 cups milk and 2 cups almond milk
2/3 cup white sugar
1/2 cup small pear tapioca
2 eggs lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla....or more : )

Stir together the milk, sugar, tapioca,vanilla and eggs in slow cooker. Cover and cook on medium (Or high depending on cooker) 2 1/2 to 3 hours or on low 5 to 6 hours  stirring occasionally. Keep checking as each slow cooker cooks differently.

No need to soak the pearls first which is another reason for easy peasy!

Enjoy!

www.craftnique.blogspot.com




No comments: